How to Dyeing Batik fabric?
Batik is a method of decorating fabric through hand dye resistance, the process batik is unique, all process is handmade no industrial mechine to make a piece of batik fabric
How to process of batik?
There are three kinds of batik : handwritten, stamp and handprinting.
Compared to others, it is more exclusive/luxurious and expensive. It is because of the need of skill, experience, carefulness, patient, and much time in its process. A batik maker takes a month to process it (the fastest time) in condition like: a good weather, common pattern and not too sophisticated. For making more complex batik, it needs 3-6 months. Here are the phases in processing:
- It is “ngrengsi” making pattern and design on material. It is drawn using a pencil.
- Draw using a wax and canting – small dipper used to apply wax in batik process- it is made by following the pattern drawn with a pencil on the both side –back to back-.
- “nyolet” is painting with brush or canvas for the need of certain color on the area wanted. It is made by following the pattern drawn by a pencil.
- Cover any uncolored parts with a wax. It has an intention to avoid a color mixing for the next coloring/ngerek.
- Making color on the material which not covered by wax. It is made by dipping it using a certain color/ngerek
After dipping, it is dried in the sun, and let it dry. Then, repeat the previous process/the second step, next, it is “nglorot” omit wax from the material by putting on vessel and using hot water, boiling in a high temperature. After clean from wax, let it dry and back to previous process -covering using a wax in order to withstand the first and second color- Wax open and close process can be made repeatedly in accordance to the number of color and complexity of design wanted. The last process is clean the material using clean water, and dry in the sun before wearing.
The stamp used is made of metal in which there is a pattern. Hence, it is not required much time to process stamp batik, just takes 10 days and able to produce batik in a large, it is easier and simpler. Here are the following manners:
- Making a pattern/design wanted on white material. It was made by stamping. Don’t forget to dip it first into hot wax which put on vessel and press it on material.
- First color process. Dip material -which free from wax- into certain color. Dry in the sun and let it dry. Then, back to batik process-draw using wax and canting to cover the first color- it is forbidden to use a stamp when making color covering process.
- Keep on dipping to make the second color. Then, omit the wax from the material by putting on a fair place with hot water.
- After cleaning and drying, back to batik process: keep the first and second color using wax and canting. The opening and closing process can be done repeatedly based on the number of color and the complexity of design wanted.
- Wash batik, dry in the sun, let it dry before wearing.
It is also called “screening batik” because of the similarity on its process. design and color has been made or designed on the offset/screening. Therefore, it is easier when processing.
The manners are:
- First coloring process, started by making a pattern/design wanted on white material using silk-screening. Keep on repeating to create the second color as well as to create batik combination.
- Dry under the sun light or put it in special oven. Usually, leave it for 2-3 days so that the drug can absorb in material.
- There are two options: steam using a vapor on a high temperature or use a chemical, water glass. It has a purpose to stick and keep the color on material and to avoid discolored.
- “nglorot” omit a wax from material, and dry in the sun
batiksfabric.com is batik fabric manufacturer in central java, e are batik fabric manufacturer have a huge selection of cotton / rayon batik fabrics with original colors, styles, solids, and watercolor results.
Batiks is established utilizing a manual (hand dye), all those amazing pieces of unique batik fabric have been hand dyed by skilled batik artisans in java, Indonesia. Batik fabrics provides been found in quilting for decades, and the full total results could be spectacular! Since batik fabrics are exclusive, ensure that you get all of the yardage you think you might need – each bolt is normally one-of-a-kind!
This batik is best for Accessories – Bags/Purses, Apparel, Batik shirts, batik sarong, Bedding linens, Children clothes, Costume designs, Crafts, Quilting, home décor